Our Data Center
The PracticalAct Hosting Facility and services remained up in the worst black out in US history (August 14, 2003).
Three weeks after moving from our facility in Connecticut, to a new state of the art data center located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana,
we survived the 4th worst hurricane in recorded history (Katrina, August 29, 2005).
Our services never went down either time, and there was no interruption of services for any of our clients worldwide.
Our servers are located in a TIER IV data center facility, designed with state-of-the-art physical and network
security protection, disaster-recovery options, and a
wide-range of environmental controls including smoke
detection and fire suppression systems (FM-200 based)
as well as redundant cooling controls.
Our servers are located in a TIER IV Data Center, the highest level currently available. The data center
actually surpasses the classification by having more power, and more backup internet connections than the
required. What exactly is a TIER IV Data Center?
Keeping the power on is not a problem here:
- Fully-redundant power circuits and
UPS battery back-up to each rack
- Three One-Megawatt dedicated
diesel generators with over three days
- Fuel contracts for longer-term outages
All power to the servers travels through this redundant battery backup system to keep the power from flux
in power dip and spikes. They alone can power the whole data center for several hours, but the power generators will
power on after 3 min's of no power from the local electricity company
BACK TO TOP
BACK TO TOP
- All elements of the core network
infrastructure are fully redundant
- All Cisco-Powered Network
- Network security and monitoring
- Staffed Network Operations Center
24 x 7 x 365
- Fully redundant enterprise-class firewall's
- Real-time intrusion detection and
- System monitoring and notification
- Connections to multiple (4) Tier-1 Internet
providers including DS-0, DS-1, DS-3 and OC-3.
- Multiple, diverse fiber paths through several
We use IBM servers for our database storage and Dell servers for our web and application servers.
BACK TO TOP
- All servers are protected by a market proven hardware firewall solution.
- All servers are protected from viruses, trojans, spy ware and ad aware by the latest
Norton Anti virus software.
- All servers have Raid Arrays to protect your data in the event of a hard drive failure.
- All servers have dual power supplies that run on separate power feeds from the data center.
- All servers have at least two network connections to the network.
- We have backup hardware on hand and ready, in the event of a hardware failure.
Getting to the servers is impossible, well for anyone other than our technicians!
To access the massive server room requires clearance by the security officer, then with proper ID and the correct
biometric scan you can enter the mantrap, then access the server room.
On premise security features include:
BACK TO TOP
- On-site 24 X 7 x 365 monitoring
- Video surveillance cameras throughout the
facility (inside and outside)
- On-site security guard on duty at all times
- Biometric scanners and access card
required for entry to all data center areas
- Bullet-resistant walls and glass
- Man-trap areas at all entrances to all data
- Floor space, rack space or caged space
available as desired and/or required